Saturday, September 10, 2005

Saturday, September 10, 2005

If “terrorist” is in my vocabulary, how can I believe myself the worst of sinners? If I cannot believe myself the worst of sinners, how can I believe that God offers mercy to all sinners?

Being the worst of sinners does not mean I have any special talent for sinning. It means that I know that as I am I am damnable, and that I do not know that of anybody else.


Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like: He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock. But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.
—Luke 6:47–49


No speaker on Evangelization being available, the Pastoral Advisory Council retreat had as its topic Canon Law. J. Michael Ritty, of Canon Law Professionals, spoke about what is canon law, how canon law differs from common law in aim and method as well as in subject matter, what canon law says about pastoral councils, the new Canon 220 regarding a person’s reputation and privacy, the most important (and therefore last) law Canon 1752, which says “. . . the salvation of souls, which must always be the supreme law in the Church, is to be kept before one’s eyes,” rights and obligations, and due process. The presentation was in two parts, morning and afternoon, and many questions were asked and answered in both. In between were Mass and lunch, after the retreat we held the first Pastoral Advisory Council meeting of the 2005–2006 season. It is a very enjoyable day, the best part of which was Mass, offered by Father Pape in the Kenwood Convent Chapel, with the council members all near each other, and no amplified sound. Somewhat off topic, had a rather prolonged discussion with AB, who insisted truth doesn’t change and is true whether anyone believes it or not. Don’t understand what this notion of truth really means to the many Catholics who hold it. Must try to find out.

Lord, let the Pastoral Advisory Council bring forth good fruit.

Returned home in time to attend our neighborhood block party, There KW told me that she and her husband WW hope to spend another year in the neighborhood before moving to a retirement home.
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home